Musée de l’HÔTEL DES POSTES
Built in 1910 for the Post Office Department of Canada and according to the plans of Thomas Fuller, the “Hôtel des Postes” was the last gift from Wilfrid Laurier to his adoptive and beloved “Arthabaska”.
This building was built on the same location where James Goodhue operated a general store (1866 to 1869) several years earlier with a room doubling as a post office.
In 1911, the Post Office was transferred to its present location. Built in the Second Empire style, the new Hôtel des Postes had Calixte Le Blanc acting as first postmaster. From 1911 to year of its closing in 1965, seven postmasters occupied this same position. Between 1965 and 1995 this same building fulfilled more social functions such as, a government-funded housing.
In 1995, the Société du Musée Laurier acquired this heritage building. Following extensive work, the building opened in June 1996 and since that date exhibitions of fine art and of historic value continue to be presented. Since June 2011, a permanent exhibition has been conceived to recreate the ambiance of a post office from the 1910-1920 era.